[Ukfreebsd] knock knock

James O'Gorman james at netinertia.co.uk
Wed Apr 28 18:38:42 BST 2010

Woops, forgot to reply to this. :-)

On 23 Apr 2010, at 00:11, Sevan / Venture37 wrote:
> What was the talk like, again I didn't get to make it, I saw that the slides have been published, haven't had a chance to look at them yet though.

It was sort of interesting, but it really showed the shortcomings of AI in OpenSolaris compared to Jumpstart in Solaris. Even basic things like finish scripts aren't there; for now you have to create a custom IPS package which runs its own scripts and push the package to a custom repository. Much more work than just adding a finish script!

>> I'm being "encouraged" by one of the new LOSUG leaders to write a
>> talk on FreeBSD vs Solaris vs OpenSolaris. Perhaps this could be
>> interesting for FreeBSD folks too?
>
> definitely, a comparison in implementations would be quiet good ports/tinderbox vs pkg/sourcejoucer, building a distro, I'd like to hear the benefits for the opensolaris way.

I'll see if I can find some time to write the talk then. One side-project I'm working on at the moment is a version of the Ports tree for Solaris, which several people seem keen on.

James