[Ukfreebsd] [FreeBSD-Announce] FreeBSD Status Report January-March, 2010 (fwd)

Robert N. M. Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Tue Apr 27 19:33:56 BST 2010

On 27 Apr 2010, at 18:57, Sevan / Venture37 wrote:

> So is the work that you're doing in going to be back ported to
> previous versions or will juniper be moving to freebsd 9 to obtain the
> changes?

Hi Sevan--

I hope to merge to 8.x but will not be able to evaluate its backportability until a bit later in the project. The key question is usually "does it break existing pre-compiled kernel modules [that we care about] or management tools [within reason]?", so as the performance work wraps up I'll do a more formal analysis of the impact of the changes in this regard. A backport to 7.x is probably feasible but not necessarily a good use of time.

Robert