[Ukfreebsd] [FreeBSD-Announce] FreeBSD Status Report January-March, 2010 (fwd)

Sevan / Venture37 venture37 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 25 19:18:24 BST 2010

On 23 Apr 2010, at 09:37 PM, Robert Watson <rwatson at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> While I have great respect for the OpenBSD folk, I don't think a non-
> parallel kernel can be considered to "really run" on sun4v, stable
> or otherwise. There's little point in having 64 hardware threads if
> your kernel can only run on one at a time, especially with network-
> centric workloads.  My on-going work on network stack scalability
> for Juniper is targeted at 16-core amd64 servers and 32-thread MIPS
> network appliance parts (I'm using RMI/NetLogicMicro XLS and XLR).
> You can read a bit about it here:
>
>  http://www.freebsd.org/news/status/report-2010-01-2010-03.html#TCP/UDP-connection-groups
>
> The goal is to effectively utilize 16 cores or 32 threads in
> concurrent TCP processing with at least 10gbps, and ideally 20gbps.
>
> Robert

You're right, it sucks to have a network stack that's not
multithreaded on the other hand it's really nice that everything works
(ignoring the SMP related issues) on the other hand freebsd supports
all those cores & puts them to use, but the hardware support is not
there, for me featureset is far more important than performance but I
guess if you're dealing with 10 or 20Gbps speeds it's the other way
around.
Is it right to forefit technical correctness in pursuit of speed?

Sevan