[Ukfreebsd] [FreeBSD-Announce] FreeBSD Status Report January-March, 2010 (fwd)

Sevan / Venture37 venture37 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 23 16:57:25 BST 2010

On 23/04/2010 15:15, Robert Watson wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Apr 2010, Sevan / Venture37 wrote:
>
>> On 23/04/2010 14:59, Robert Watson wrote:
>>>
>>> Probably many folks have seen this already, but I figured I'd send it
>>> out anyway since there's some interesting stuff. It certainly doesn't
>>> cover all the stuff going on (after all, do you enjoy sending status
>>> reports? :-), but certainly a survey of some of the more interesting
>>> things.
>>
>> Are there any plans for reviving FreeBSD/sun4v??
>
> I'm not aware of active work in this area, although the sparc64 folks
> are clearly getting stuff done on related architectures. I'm not sure
> what it would take to motivate further improvement on sun4v: the basic
> port appeared to work moderately well but there were stability issues
> relating to VM, and I think it wasn't yet able to run as a logical
> domain (perhaps have the wrong terminology). So there's a very strong
> starting point for anyone who wanted to pick this up as a project, but
> no active hands currently I think.

It would be really good to see it up & running properly, what's the
maximum number of cores the freebsd kernel has been tested on?
The OpenBSD guys really ran with the support for this platform, the
support for logical domains was really cool, being able to mix operating
systems on a single box is very impressive, though one thing I don't get
is why is a sun4v a seperate platform on FreeBSD & a part of sparc64 in
OpenBSD??

Sevan