[Ukfreebsd] Legacy systems

Robert N. M. Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Thu Apr 1 16:38:32 BST 2010

On 1 Apr 2010, at 16:07, Sevan / Venture37 wrote:

> I remember the talk you did at google where you showed that commits
> were still going into the much older branches, (3.x?) that was quiet
> surprising!

Appliance vendors (the Junipers, NetApps, Isilons, Sandvines, etc) of the world often have 4+ year OS product cycles, which means many of them are still based on 6.x and now considering or in the process of doing upgrades to 7.x/8.x, but will continue to ship 6.x product for the forseeable future. They will continue to find bugs, do minor enhancements, etc, for several years to come even though the FreeBSD Project is reaching EOL for 6.x. Likewise, ISP consumers may well upgrade their kernels to 7.x/8.x but some are still running 4.x userspaces on top simply because their very large application bases may be stuck on 32-bit and hard to forward-port. It's an interesting world, but it's good to see many of these vendors start to integrate more closely with the community, and starting to look at tracking more closely as well. 64-bit support has been a major pressure to get servers off of 4.x, and multicore is pushing people from 6.x to 7.x/8.x pretty firmly.

Robert