[Ukfreebsd] Internal ADSL2 Card

Sevan / Venture37 venture37 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 17:39:34 GMT 2009

Mark Blackman wrote:
> [for the benefit of the list]
>
> On 28 Jan 2009, at 12:20, Mike Bristow wrote:

>>> the vigor 110 looks like an external device to me.
>>
>> It is.
>>
>>> I think
>>> internal cards are rare as hen's teeth in general and those
>>> with FreeBSD support are vapourware.
>>
>> But it does mean that your IP is untouched by the dodgy firmware
>> is your consumer router, which is very often the point.
>>
>> Or at least, it was the reason why I was looking for a ADSL2+ PCI
>> card with *BSD support, and in the end decided that I'd go for a
>> Vigor when I had the tuits to spare.

I have the same reluctance about using consumer modem/routers, nasty
nasty things, but they're all fine when you use them as dumb bridges &
connect via PPPoE or even better IP over ATM which removes the
requirements for netgraph, just assign the IP details given to you by
your isp or run dhclient on the interface connected to your adsl bridge,
all you require for this is a modem/router which supports RFC1483 in
bridge mode.