[Ukfreebsd] Internal ADSL2 Card

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jan 28 13:48:48 GMT 2009

On Wed, 28 Jan 2009, Mark Blackman wrote:

>> Probably of little comfort, but -- several of the mainstream DSL routers
>> used by DSL vendors in the UK use a FreeBSD network stack in some form,
>> including BT's HomeHub.  Mind you, it is heavily modified and not run in a
>> FreeBSD kernel :-).
>
> Interesting, but why bother with the stack and not the kernel? Is the stack
> that simple to separate?

I hesitate to put words into their mouth, but two things seem likely
contributors: historical reasons, and the historical lack of embedded hardware
ports for FreeBSD.  FreeBSD now runs quite happily on many ARM/MIPS/PPC
boards, but this is fairly recent (last 2-3 years).  I'd like to think this
opens up the door for a lot of new potential uses of FreeBSD, but we'll see.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge