[Ukfreebsd] pfsense/Ethernet Modem - Vigor 100 (not 110!)

RW rwmaillists at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 25 17:54:22 GMT 2009

On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 16:04:53 +0000 (UTC)
Jeff LaCoursiere <jeff at jeff.net> wrote:

> You are on the right track.  You may be able to get the manual for
> this beast online rather than wait for them to ship something to
> you.  You may also get some help from your ISP (did they provide this
> box to you as part of their service?), who may be able to tell you if
> you can put it in bridging mode.  I would start with Google something
> like "Speedtouch 780WL Broadband Gateway Bridging setup".

Note that there are two ways of doing this with UK ISPs. One is the way
that the Vigor works, by bridging PPPoA to PPPoE, the other is to
simply bridge PPPoE. The first approach will work with any ISP, but
isn't supported by all modems and routers (the Draytek Vigor 100
was the first to support this). The second approach is more widely
supported by modems/routers, but requires PPPoE support from the ISP,
which is common but not ubiquitous.

According to the Draytek site the 100 and 110 are functionally
identical, and use the same chipset. I notice that the modems on the
site are pictured with a single ethernet port, whereas my Vigor 100 has
four-ports. I think the original photos showed it with one-port too. You
may want to check this as the extra ports allow you to route-out to
three other PCs/devices without even a second ethernet port on the
firewall.