[Ukfreebsd] Freebsd Jails

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Wed Sep 24 08:18:37 BST 2008

On Tue, 23 Sep 2008, Mark Blackman wrote:

> On 23 Jul 2008, at 16:34, Kevin Gilpin LRGS wrote:
>
>> I have been looking at Xen to create some virtual machines. Then I came
>> across a posting about Freebsd jails. I am looking to do the following with
>> my virtual machines proxy server internal network and external, DNS Server
>> External, Mail Gateways for 2 different domains. Has anybody done this with
>> Freebsd? Or am I just crazy thinking about things like this? Thanks
>
> I note this is a very delayed e-mail as well, but will tell you that you can
> do anything that only requires a single IP address on the jail side.
>
> I think from your description you could.

FWIW, Bjoern Zeeb is maintaining a pretty good set of patches for multiple
IPv4 and IPv6 addresses on jails -- they didn't make 7.1, but hopefully will
make 7.2.  We're using them in the FreeBSD.org cluster for hosting more
complex jail setups with virtual web hosting, among other things.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge