[Ukfreebsd] Recap: FreeBSD developer summit in Cambridge in August

Sevan / Venture37 venture37 at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 22 10:50:44 BST 2008

> On Mon, 22 Sep 2008, Sevan / Venture37 wrote:
>
>> A couple of questions:
>>
>> The network stack virtualisation in 8.0 is that virtnet or something written
>> from scratch??
>
> This is based on Marko Zec's virtnet/vimage/immunes project.  In about
> 2006(ish), the NLnet and the FreeBSD Foundation contracted Marko and UZagreb
> to forward-port the work to FreeBSD 7.x from the original 4.x he did it on.
> Due to some schedule slippage it's now in the process of entering the
> 8-CURRENT tree.  There are a now a number of other contributors involved,
> including Verio and Cisco.  Verio is looking at open-sourcing their
> FreeBSD-based managed server virtualization product, and merging those parts
> into VImage as well.
>
> The bits are flying right and left as the work takes place, so it's not really
> ready for people to use or test yet, but I hope in the next couple of months
> the prototype will finish entering 8.x and be ready for a larger audience.
> We'll also see other subsystems fully virtualized, including some historically
> defficient areas in Jail, such as System V IPC, POSIX IPC, etc, and a
> much-improved management interface.  Another planned feature is the ability to
> specify which root kernel privileges are allowed in each Jail, something that
> was done on an ad hoc basis for one or two privileges before, but now it will
> be generalized.
>
> The results are quite neat though -- you can create a series of jails, each
> with their own firewalls, rate-limiting, VLANs, IPSEC, etc, each managed from
> within the jail by the jail administrator.
>
> Some notes from recent DevSummits:
>
>    http://people.freebsd.org/~bz/200805DevSummit/#vimageII
>    http://wiki.freebsd.org/Image/Notes200808DevSummit
>
> And Marko's oldish page:
>
>    http://imunes.tel.fer.hr/virtnet/

Yeah, I've been playing around with the vmware image Marko made on & off for the past few months, I came across it after he did the interview with Will on BSDtalk, I just wasn't sure if it was Marko's work that was being merged or another effort.

>> Xen DomU support, how far off are we from having a EC2 image for testing???
>
> I don't have recent information, but I believe it is being actively worked on.
> Apparently EC2 relies on a specific (and perhaps modified) version of the Xen
> hypervisor interfaces:
>
>    http://wiki.freebsd.org/FreeBSD/Xen
>
> This is also definitely in the work-in-progress area, but lots of heavy
> lifting going on.

I can't wait for this to start taking shape, definitely looking forward to being a guinea pig as soon as its usable on EC2.

Sevan