No subject

Sat Sep 20 21:17:40 BST 2008

recommend for non-USA/Canada users, and it chuntered away for a good =
hour or so checkout-ing files and eventually appeared to complete =
normally.

The next step (as I read the documentation) is to run "cvs" to update =
the source tree. The most appropriate command line appears to be:
cvs update -P -d
and I appreciate that this requires the $CVSROOT environment variable to =
be set.

I have tried setting $CVSROOT=3D/usr and then $CVSROOT=3D/usr/src but =
neither appears to allow cvs to work.

Could any kind soul who has experience of updating via cvsup suggest an =
alternative cvs command line and/or value for $CVSROOT which might =
assist in progressing further with the procedure.

Many thanks for any help.
Charles

------=_NextPart_000_000B_01C19483.3922E7A0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hi - many thanks to Paul Robinson and =
John=20
Rochester for most helpful advice on getting ppp working.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Following your advice I started from =
scratch using=20
a clean copy of the ppp.conf sample and managed to get connected OK; =
initially=20
to the number Paul suggested using uid &amp; pw "fbsduktest". With that =
working=20
OK, I found I could substitute the phone number, uid &amp; pw I use for =
Virgin=20
and connect OK, and then to my 0800 ntlworld account. I was pleasantly =
surprised=20
in particular to find the connection to ntl's 0800 number working, as =
when I=20
used to do tech support for them, the standard line was that it simply =
was not=20
possible to log in to ntlworld from anything other than an MS Win=20
platform.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>From there I was able to run cvsup =
using the=20
"secure-supfile" they recommend for non-USA/Canada users, and it =
chuntered away=20
for a good hour or so checkout-ing files and eventually appeared to =
complete=20
normally.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The next step (as I read the =
documentation) is to=20
run "cvs" to update the source tree. The most appropriate command line =
appears=20
to be:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>cvs update -P -d</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>and I appreciate that this requires the =
$CVSROOT=20
environment variable to be set.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I have tried setting $CVSROOT=3D/usr =
and then=20
$CVSROOT=3D/usr/src but neither appears to allow cvs to =
work.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Could any kind soul who has experience =
of updating=20
via cvsup suggest an alternative cvs command line and/or value for =
$CVSROOT=20
which might assist in progressing further with the =
procedure.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Many thanks for any help.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Charles</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_000B_01C19483.3922E7A0--