[Ukfreebsd] www.uk.freebsd.org getting a bit long in the tooth

Dr Josef Karthauser joe at tao.org.uk
Wed Oct 15 07:22:27 BST 2008

Gavin Atkinson wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-10-08 at 21:23 +0100, Mark Blackman wrote:
>> I know this has come up before, but can somebody remind me what's
>> required
>> to get www.uk.freebsd.org restored to some semblance of
>> contemporaneity with
>> the rest of us.
>
> It is hosted by plig.org, which used to also host one of the UK cvsup
> servers.  When that went down, I emailed them and it sounded like they
> were reluctant to continue, but did say they would continue to host the
> website and FTP mirror.
>
> Since then, the website has become out-of-date, and the opinion seemed
> to be that the way forward was to just remove it as the UK doesn't
> really need five www mirrors.  I emailed the uk.freebsd.org hostmaster a
> couple of times, but I think he's pretty busy at the moment so hasn't
> had a chance todo the reshuffle.
>
> Note also that some of the FTP servers are either down or seriously
> out-of-date, including (surprisingly) storm.uk.frebsd.org (ftp6.uk).

Actually, we're in much better shape now. Christiaan at Plig has just
rebuilt his mirror and we now have another fast cvsup server and
www.uk.freebsd.org is now live again.

As to web mirrors, we currently have two but www2.uk.freebsd.org is
missing in action. If anyone has a mirror that they want to make publis
let me know, otherwise I'll set up another one on the maillist server.

Joe