[Ukfreebsd] www.uk.freebsd.org getting a bit long in the tooth

Gavin Atkinson gavin at FreeBSD.org
Mon Oct 13 09:21:47 BST 2008

On Wed, 2008-10-08 at 21:23 +0100, Mark Blackman wrote:
> I know this has come up before, but can somebody remind me what's
> required
> to get www.uk.freebsd.org restored to some semblance of
> contemporaneity with
> the rest of us.

It is hosted by plig.org, which used to also host one of the UK cvsup
servers.  When that went down, I emailed them and it sounded like they
were reluctant to continue, but did say they would continue to host the
website and FTP mirror.

Since then, the website has become out-of-date, and the opinion seemed
to be that the way forward was to just remove it as the UK doesn't
really need five www mirrors.  I emailed the uk.freebsd.org hostmaster a
couple of times, but I think he's pretty busy at the moment so hasn't
had a chance todo the reshuffle.

Note also that some of the FTP servers are either down or seriously
out-of-date, including (surprisingly) storm.uk.frebsd.org (ftp6.uk).

Gavin