Samba/Winbind/nsswitch problem

Stephen Allen sdafreebsduk at rowyerboat.com
Thu May 22 01:11:37 BST 2008

I've installed and configured samba with winbind, to allow Windows
Active Directory users to log in without me having to create a local
account for them.

Generally speaking, it works (I can login, wbinfo -u|-g returns the
correct data).  I can login as a Windows user through ssh, and am using
the pam_mkhomedir module (which also works ok).

Anyway, I've got 2 questions/problems...

(1)
Whenever I restart samba, syslog receives messages like these below.

auth/auth_util.c:create_builtin_administrators(792)
create_builtin_administrators: Failed to create Administrators
auth/auth_util.c:create_builtin_users(758)
create_builtin_users: Failed to create Users
auth/auth_util.c:create_builtin_administrators(792)
create_builtin_administrators: Failed to create Administrators
auth/auth_util.c:create_builtin_users(758)
create_builtin_users: Failed to create Users

(2)
If I use the "winbind enum users|groups = Yes" options, syslog receives
messages like these below (hundreds of them... every few mins).

nsswitch/winbindd_group.c:winbindd_getgrent(1110)
could not lookup domain group department (maths)
nsswitch/winbindd_group.c:winbindd_getgrent(1110)
could not lookup domain group department (mecheng)

Can anyone help please?

Many thanks,
Steve :)

========================
SOME NOTES ON MY CONFIG:
========================

FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE amd64
samba-3.0.28a,1

root at bax ~ $ testparm -s
Load smb config files from /usr/local/etc/smb.conf
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_DOMAIN_MEMBER
[global]
         workgroup = TECHNOLOGY
         security = DOMAIN
         allow trusted domains = No
         syslog only = Yes
         load printers = No
         printcap name = /dev/null
         ldap ssl = no
         idmap domains = TECHNOLOGY
         template shell = /usr/local/bin/bash
         winbind enum users = Yes
         winbind enum groups = Yes
         winbind use default domain = Yes
         idmap config TECHNOLOGY:range = 10000-20000
         idmap config TECHNOLOGY:backend = rid

root at bax ~ $ wbinfo -u | wc -l
     2944
root at bax ~ $ wbinfo -g | wc -l