Router recommendations for FreeBSD

RW fbsd06 at mlists.homeunix.com
Fri May 16 01:14:14 BST 2008

On Thu, 15 May 2008 12:51:52 +0100
"Simon Dick" <simond at irrelevant.org> wrote:

> If you're happy with ADSL1 then Linksys ADSL2MUE works very nicely as
> a PPPoE bridge,

I think it's worth pointing out that in the UK, bridged PPPoE is
something that may work, or may not, depending on ISP. And even on an
ISP where it works, it may go away without warning, or may not be
supported if you need help with line problems. I once read a forum post
where someone even claimed to have had his account terminated for using
PPPoE.

The reason that I choose the Draytek Modem is that it doesn't bridge
PPPoE, but rather terminates PPPoA and connects it to a new PPPoE link
across the Ethernet connection. You get all the advantages of PPPoE,
but the modem just looks like a plain PPPoA device to the ISP.