Router recommendations for FreeBSD

Geoff Garside freebsd at geoffgarside.co.uk
Thu May 15 13:11:18 BST 2008

On 15 May 2008, at 12:51, Simon Dick wrote:

> On Thu, 15 May 2008 10:34:44 +0100, "Bruce M Simpson"
> <bms at incunabulum.net> said:
>> Bruce Cran wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm using a Linksys AM200 that gained additional bridging support
>>> through a firmware upgrade - it now does both half and full
>>> bridging,
>>> so depending on the setup you can either have the PPP connection
>>> handled by the modem or a FreeBSD box.  In non-bridged mode it
>>> used to
>>> hang every few months but since moving it to bridged mode it seems
>>> totally reliable.
>>>

>> Just to say: This is the sort of information which is like gold dust.
>> Vendors usually don't tell you "Our box supports PPPoA" or "will
>> half/full bridge". The D-Link DSL-501T used to do this IIRC.
>>
>> Not knowing these things, means, not knowing if I can just use the
>> thing
>> as a modem and put an edge box which *I* control in place.
>>
>> It's one reason why I've stuck with cable (vs *DSL) for so long --
>> and I
>> find the newer Scientific Atlanta WebSTAR modems have broken firmware
>> which only works with Internet Explorer.
>>
>> Why do these guys keep releasing mass market products which break, as
>> soon as you try to use them with stuff which actually complies with
>> the
>> standards which the good tech people came up with?
>>
>> Anyway thanks for an excellent thread. There should really be a wiki
>> with all this info out there somewhere...
>
> If you're happy with ADSL1 then Linksys ADSL2MUE works very nicely
> as a
> PPPoE bridge, I used it in conjunction with pfSense (which connected
> via
> PPPoE) and did everything myself, I'm currently using a BeBox (comes
> from Be, rebranded Thompson I think) with a custom bridging profile,
> still with pfSense
> --
> Simon Dick
> simond at irrelevant.org

Yeah its a rebranded Thompson, and they've never learnt to put
ventilation holes on the tops of their devices which makes them prone
to overheating.

I've quit using my BeBox and gone to a NetGear DG834N because when the
BeBox would overheat it would start dropping the broadband connection
which is very annoying when trying to watch BBC iPlayer.

Geoff