Router recommendations for FreeBSD

Bruce Cran bruce at cran.org.uk
Thu May 15 00:38:18 BST 2008

RW wrote:
> On Wed, 14 May 2008 12:13:11 +0100
> "Steve Brownjohn" <Steve.Brownjohn at hackney.gov.uk> wrote:
>
>> <mailto:Steve.Brownjohn at Hackney.gov.uk>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm using FreeBSD as my home desktop and dial-up for interweb and
>> email; I've decided it's time to go "broadband" and wonder if anyone
>> can recommend a router (wireless or no) with built-in ADSL modem,
>> that's friendly with FreeBSD - in particular, I've heard that some
>> routers need to be set up in Internet Explorer, so they'd be a
>> non-starter!
>
> I not heard of that, I would think it's pretty rare. Probably best to
> pick one and google it to find any problems.
>
> Personally, I'm not convinced about the case for a router if FreeBSD is
> your main PC - it doesn't need the same degree of protection  from the
> internet as Windows does.
>
> I have a Draytek Vigor 100 modem that bridges PPPoA into PPPoE, so
> doesn't need any configuration outside of ppp.conf. It has extra ports,
> so you can still connect other computers - with FreeBSD doing the NAT
> or proxying. The only  problem with it is live-CDs need a bit of
> setting-up to get network access. Other modems and routers that offer
> PPPoE bridging generally rely on ISP support for PPPoE over ATM, which
> is common, but not ubiquitous.

I'm using a Linksys AM200 that gained additional bridging support
through a firmware upgrade - it now does both half and full bridging, so
depending on the setup you can either have the PPP connection handled by
the modem or a FreeBSD box.  In non-bridged mode it used to hang every
few months but since moving it to bridged mode it seems totally reliable.

--
Bruce Cran