Router recommendations for FreeBSD

RW fbsd06 at mlists.homeunix.com
Thu May 15 00:10:30 BST 2008

On Wed, 14 May 2008 12:13:11 +0100
"Steve Brownjohn" <Steve.Brownjohn at hackney.gov.uk> wrote:

> <mailto:Steve.Brownjohn at Hackney.gov.uk>
> Hi all,
>
> I'm using FreeBSD as my home desktop and dial-up for interweb and
> email; I've decided it's time to go "broadband" and wonder if anyone
> can recommend a router (wireless or no) with built-in ADSL modem,
> that's friendly with FreeBSD - in particular, I've heard that some
> routers need to be set up in Internet Explorer, so they'd be a
> non-starter!

I not heard of that, I would think it's pretty rare. Probably best to
pick one and google it to find any problems.

Personally, I'm not convinced about the case for a router if FreeBSD is
your main PC - it doesn't need the same degree of protection  from the
internet as Windows does.

I have a Draytek Vigor 100 modem that bridges PPPoA into PPPoE, so
doesn't need any configuration outside of ppp.conf. It has extra ports,
so you can still connect other computers - with FreeBSD doing the NAT
or proxying. The only  problem with it is live-CDs need a bit of
setting-up to get network access. Other modems and routers that offer
PPPoE bridging generally rely on ISP support for PPPoE over ATM, which
is common, but not ubiquitous.

One thing to consider is whether you want to make cheap VoIP phone
calls. Some routers handle this directly so you can plug your phone
into the router. This allows your ordinary phone to handle both normal
calls and VoIP calls without the PC being on.