Sensatronics Model F (serial temperature monitor)

Dominic Marks dom at helenmarks.co.uk
Wed May 14 12:51:53 BST 2008

Frank Shute wrote:
> On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 03:53:58PM +0100, Dominic Marks wrote:
>
>> Hi list,
>>
>> Does anyone have experience with these devices?
>>
>> http://www.openxtra.co.uk/products/environment-monitors/temperature/model-f/prodmodelf.html
>>

> I programmed (in C) a similar thing to this on a university course. It
> was very easy to program. Although, I see the sensatronics site have
> some sort of plugin for nagios.
>
> The only possible problems I see with it are that it's a serial port.
> How long are these going to hang around?
>
> The price of the probe is outrageous! It's just a thermocouple. You
> could probably get one from Maplins for a tenth of the price unless it
> has some sort of funky coupling. Maybe check the spec of the probe on
> the sensatronics site and see if you can bag something similar on the
> cheap.

Thanks, I was surprised at the price as well. I looked at IPMI, SMBus on
the board itself and it just doesn't work at all. I've also got five
other working sensors but I'm a little wary to trust them. There are the
SMART temperature sensors on the discs (4 of them) and a sensor in the
UPS which I can read from the server. I've often seen SMART temperature
sensors reporting improbably high values, say +150c so I don't have much
faith. The ones in this particular server are reporting ~45c and the UPS
is reporting an internal temperature of ~30c. These seem fairly
reasonable. The other slight concern is that these values are not
exactly the information I'm after. I should check the switch in there
too actually, there is a procurve which might have some temperature
sensors on it...
> Beware that when placing the probe you don't want it touching
> anything. Maybe you can make it dangle inside your servers case
> without actually touching it.

Ok. I'm really interested in the temperature of the comms room as a
whole as it has barely any ventilation. It's surrounded by two metre
thick stone walls so I'm hoping it will be quite well sheilded from
external heat. It's been fine during the winter when I first looked at it.
> Test your probe by placing it next to a mercury thermometer and
> comparing readings.
>
> Do keep us all informed if you decide to get one.

Will do.

Thanks for the info Frank,

(p.s. Thunderbird tells me it will wrap my lines at 72 chars, I suspect
it lies. Apologies in advance.)
Dominic