Sensatronics Model F (serial temperature monitor)

Frank Shute frank at shute.org.uk
Tue May 13 18:24:53 BST 2008

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 03:53:58PM +0100, Dominic Marks wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> Does anyone have experience with these devices?
>
> http://www.openxtra.co.uk/products/environment-monitors/temperature/model-f/prodmodelf.html

I programmed (in C) a similar thing to this on a university course. It
was very easy to program. Although, I see the sensatronics site have
some sort of plugin for nagios.

The only possible problems I see with it are that it's a serial port.
How long are these going to hang around?

The price of the probe is outrageous! It's just a thermocouple. You
could probably get one from Maplins for a tenth of the price unless it
has some sort of funky coupling. Maybe check the spec of the probe on
the sensatronics site and see if you can bag something similar on the
cheap.

Beware that when placing the probe you don't want it touching
anything. Maybe you can make it dangle inside your servers case
without actually touching it.

Test your probe by placing it next to a mercury thermometer and
comparing readings.

Do keep us all informed if you decide to get one.

> seems to work...). The server itself is housed in a small comms
> room with some networking gear so I don't think I can justify the
> cost of an ethernet one, although they look nice and the thought
> of SNMP does appeal.
>
> Cheers,
> Dominic

Regards,