Primes With Complex Factors

Lee Brotherston lee at nerds.org.uk
Mon May 12 09:07:27 BST 2008

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 12:50:21AM +0100, Frank Shute wrote:
> I was condemned to the thicko's class at school for maths and I did a
> Frankenstein syllabus for maths at school called a GCSE, which was
> like a GCE/CSE combined. I think it was the precursor to what they do
> today. This was in 1978.

I did GCSE around 1992, I wouldn't say it was difficult (I got an A
without particular effort) however it does seem to be more difficult
that what they have today.

> Complex numbers didn't come up, nor did calculus, nor did factorising
> quadratics (with formula or by hand)!

I thought that this stuff did crop up, and that I'm just a big thick
and had forgotten it.  I did do that A-level, but I took the mechanics
option (projectiles, friction, pulleys, etc) rather than 'pure' so I
might have missed some stuff off.

> The garbage they use for exams today are trivial rot & anybody with an
> IQ>100 can pass them with a good grade. IMHO.

*nods*

Cheers

  Lee

--