Domain hosting & ISP recommendations

Josef Karthauser joe at tao.org.uk
Tue Mar 25 22:28:13 GMT 2008

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 09:57:42AM +0000, Simon Dick wrote:

> I'm not convinced I'd have anything to do with any of those three :)
> For mail, I personally use fastmail.co.uk which provides imap, pop3,
> webmail, wap, virtual domain support, etc and I've had no trouble with
> them yet. For cheap personal hosting I use nearlyfreespeech.net (which
> isn't UK based), they're not the fastest, but they have a nice payment
> strategy (especially for me, as I don't do much web stuff!)

I use myself! :) I'm an opensrs registry.  It costs me a little more for
UK domains that I might get through a third party registry, but the
"internic" ones are cheaper.  Plus I get full control through an API,
which is groovie.

Actually I do web and email myself too - which is much easier now-a-days
with the reduced cost of dsl bandwidth and the availablity of static
ips.  It also gets around an RIP restrictions "-).

Joe