How to enable Linux binary compatibility using sysinstall

RW fbsd06 at mlists.homeunix.com
Wed Mar 19 14:40:19 GMT 2008

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 10:12:01 +0000
"Simon Dick" <simond at irrelevant.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 21:14:12 +0000, "Stephen Allen"
> <sdafreebsduk at rowyerboat.com> said:
> > Hello,
> >
> > After installing FreeBSD 7.0, I realised I'd forgotten to choose
> > Linux binary compatibility during the install.  I tried installing
> > from ports, but it's gone and installed a load of other unwanted
> > packages aswell now (perl/popt/rpm etc...).
> >
> > So, a few questions really...
> >
> > 1.
> > Why does the ports install require all these other packages, when
> > none of these are installed if you remember to select the "Enable
> > Linux binary compatibility" option during install?
>
> The sysinstall option does install all of them, it just doesn't make
> it obvious that it's doing so, after all, ...

Actually it doesn't. The port needs a native tool to open the Fedora
RPM packages. sysinstall uses the FreeBSD package made from the
extracted files.

The same question was asked near-simultaneously in freebsd-questions.
It's not considered to be good netiquette to do this - please pick the
most appropriate list. If you have a really compelling reason for
posting to multiple lists or groups you should cross-post instead.