Domain hosting & ISP recommendations

Simon Dick simond at irrelevant.org
Tue Mar 18 09:57:42 GMT 2008

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 09:44:01 +0000, "Tim Borgeaud"
<tim at syntheticmoon.co.uk> said:

> For broadband/ISP, I've decided to go with Zen.
>
> However, I'm still looking for some recommendations for a UK based
> company
> that can manage mail and, possibly, web forwarding.
>

> Dominic Marks recommended 1&1, which does appear to have a UK office, but
> doesn't appear to be a German company as Dominic mentioned. However,
> Joker
> is a German company which a friend of mine used.
>
> Any other recommendations?
>
> What about UK2, 123-reg, fasthosts etc, are they any good?

I'm not convinced I'd have anything to do with any of those three :)
For mail, I personally use fastmail.co.uk which provides imap, pop3,
webmail, wap, virtual domain support, etc and I've had no trouble with
them yet. For cheap personal hosting I use nearlyfreespeech.net (which
isn't UK based), they're not the fastest, but they have a nice payment
strategy (especially for me, as I don't do much web stuff!)
--
Simon Dick
simond at irrelevant.org