8-CURRENT buildworld on 6-STABLE host

N.J. Mann njm at njm.f2s.com
Wed Jun 4 18:12:44 BST 2008

In message <E0516D753B8A06429C56F428C2E7F13F0283B57C at HATMSG031.TMOUSERSUK.AD.T-MOBILE.CO.UK>,
	Alan Edmonds (Alan.Edmonds at t-mobile.net) wrote:
> I had pretty good luck with the 7.0 upgrade on my desktop.

I suspect upgrading the base system will be fine, but then there are all
the ports I use.

> Getting gnome2 upgraded was a complete nightmare.  I ended up just
> reinstalling it from packages.  Compling the latest firefox from the
> ports tree works, but the install hangs when it is installing chrome
> (something like that).

The upgrade to Xorg 7.3 was particularly painful here.  It took me weeks
to get 7.3 to work (7.2 just worked out of the box) and then I could
only get 1024x768 rather than the 1600x1200 I was used to.  I eventually
found a combination that worked and then a new version of the video
driver became available and I was back to square one.  Since then I have
found that every third version of the video driver works and the two in
between don't!

I realise the developers can't test every combination of video card,
interface and motherboard, but I still find myself screaming at the
dopey thing when it doesn't work following an upgrade!  :-)

Cheers,
       Nick.