8-CURRENT buildworld on 6-STABLE host

N.J. Mann njm at njm.f2s.com
Wed Jun 4 17:32:46 BST 2008

In message <7683ACC5-1D17-4CA2-B4C4-E6A1ECC5178A at hanse.de>,
	Stefan Bethke (stefan.bethke at hanse.de) wrote:
> Am 03.06.2008 um 18:59 schrieb N.J. Mann:
>
>> On Monday I tried to do a buildworld of 8-CURRENT on this 6-STABLE
>> machine, both CVSup'ed at ~5 a.m. Monday morning, but it fails during
>> the "stage 1.2: bootstrap tools" phase.  This used to work, but it is
>> many months since I last tried it.  Before I start making a
>> song-and-dance about this, is cross compiling like this supported?
>
> Apparently cross-compiling from 6-stable to -current broke recently, and
> the consensus on -current seems to be that no one will be sufficiently
> motivated to fix it.

Any chance of a pointer to the relevant thread.  I must have overlooked
it since although I do read current@, I do not recall said discussion.

> In general, cross-compiling is only officially
> supported on a recent stable, so you need to go to 7-stable first.

Not until 7.1 comes out.  I am quite conservative about what I run on
this machine and 7.0 seemed to break a lot of things for a lot of
people.  Not that I expect there to be any problems when I do upgrade, I
just do not want to go looking for them (on this machine anyway). :-)

Cheers,
       Nick.