Router recommendations for FreeBSD

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jun 2 11:43:11 BST 2008

On Tue, 27 May 2008, Steve Brownjohn wrote:

> Thompson
> ========
> bad: may overheat, use it upside down to ventilate

This might or might not be the same (rebranded) Thomspon DSL modem that BT
distributes.  If it is, you should know that it runs a FreeBSD network stack
... as a process on top of a Linux kernel, itself running on top of a real
time operating system.  We find ours works pretty well, although (perhaps
unsurprisingly) the WDS support in it doesn't talk to our Apple AirPort
Extremes around the house, which also use a FreeBSD-derived 802.11 stack but
not FreeBSD itself.

It seems somewhat hard to find DSL modems or access points that simply run
FreeBSD unless you build one yourself, but quite easy to find ones that
contain FreeBSD code in significant quantity, albeit possibly in rather odd
configurations.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge