MaxTux & Other Unix Suppliers

Frank Mitchell mitchell at wyatt672earp.force9.co.uk
Sat Feb 23 16:00:46 GMT 2008

Dear Fellow-Nerds:

I haven't noticed much discussion about UK Unix Suppliers, so I thought I'd
try and start one by describing MaxTux, who recently supplied me with 64-Bit
OpenSUSE and FreeBSD.

MaxTux aims to supply people worldwide, like South Africa. But I'm fairly sure
it's not a Multinational Corporation. It centres around one bloke, namely
Stephen Lockley of stephen at maxtux.co.uk (also 88, Boundary Walk, BA14 0LZ).

Parts of the MaxTux Website look outdated, but this seems to be because
it shows distros which people bought in the past. If you actually email a
request for the Lastest Release or the 64-Bit Version, the Website gets
updated and there's no problem. If you want something unusual, they reserve
the right to classify it as a Special Request and charge extra, but this
doesn't happen with familiar distros for PCs.

So MaxTux seems to be a very informal organisation, which relies on Customer
Demand to keep up to date. You can expect to get some hand-labelled disks,
which might take more than a week to arrive. But if you're specific, there's
no problem getting the particular Unix version you want.

Faictz Ce Que Vouldras: Frank Mitchell