Directory Overlay?

Lee Brotherston lee at nerds.org.uk
Tue Apr 1 16:28:38 BST 2008

On Tue, Apr 01, 2008 at 04:12:45PM +0100, Jon Schneider wrote:
> Don't understand what you're really trying to do.

I think Geraint has already covered it with unionfs, but just to
explain a little further, I am thinking of an instance where multiple
users will access some data (read only, no issues with locking, etc)
and it needs to reside in their home directory.  To save on disk
space, having to maintain multiple copies of the same data, etc, there
is one instance of the data in a central place which is sym-linked
from their homedirs.

So far pretty simple.

The issue comes that within this directory a user-specific config file
is needed.  It cannot be written to the central storage location as
that will mean all users would use the same config file, so I was
looking at a way of having a file specific to that user reside within
the sym-linked copy of the directory.

I have just tried a quick test and have found that each user directory
can be created with it's specific config in, and then:

mount_unionfs /data/central_repository/ /home/user/instance/

Works a treat :)

Cheers

  Lee

--