Directory Overlay?

Lee Brotherston lee at nerds.org.uk
Tue Apr 1 15:49:21 BST 2008

Hi all,

Apologies if this seems to be a bit of an abstract query, but does
anyone know of a way to perform a directory overlay (I think that's
the correct term) in FreeBSD, more specifically on a UFS2 partition?

To illustrate what I mean, given the situation where we would normally
just symbolically link a directory from a number of places, for
example if you wanted a directory that took up a large amount of space
to appear in every users home directory.  A la:

~john/bigdir/ -> /data/bigdir/
~fred/bigdir/ -> /data/bigdir/
~eric/bigdir/ -> /data/bigdir/

However you cannot just symbolically link this as you wish
~john/bigdir/my_file to be specific to john.

In my head I swore there was a way of overlaying one on the other, but
for the life of me I have no idea what it is, and my google skills are
letting me down.

Cheers

  Lee

--