Transferring NIS stuff from Solaris to FreeBSD

Stephen Allen sdafreebsduk at rowyerboat.com
Thu May 17 15:57:32 BST 2007

I'm trying to do this piecemeal, and learning as I go, but it's proving
difficult.  What I have is a dying Solaris 7 server (with NIS/NFS etc)
which also holds the home dirs for my users.

I've configured NIS on FreeBSD as a slave, and it works.
I've configured NFS on FreeBSD and mountd is started.
I've added "/home -alldirs" to /etc/exports.

I would like to create a test user in NIS to check if I can make the
homedirs work properly, but I don't seem to be able to do this from the
FreeBSD slave server.  Can you only do this on the master?

I'll probably have more questions once I get past this stage.

Thanks,
Steve