(no subject)

Gary Hendricks bsdmail at project415.org
Sun Jun 10 09:51:36 BST 2007

On 09/06/2007 22:18, adrian johnson wrote:
> Hi
>
> I tried the VMWare Server as suggested, not for BSD, but Solaris as I=20
> needed this for research and did not want to take down my BSD box.=20
> Every thing worked fine for Solaris on XPPro (I need this for work),=20
> so I guess FreeBSD would also be ok. Ideal way to experiment with one=20
> PC... and easy to use. However I did lose almost 10 gig of disk space,=20
> small price to pay.
>
> Aj
I run loads of VMware systems. It is truly one of the best ways to learn=20
how to use a new O/S. The usual rule of thumb for these things (for me=20
at least) it to install a minimum install and work from there. I also=20
have invested in a external hard disk, about =A350 for 320GB=20
http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/116143/rb/0 ) to dump these vmwares on=20
that i do not use. Brilliant for backups too.

This removes the 'sacrifice' part.  :-)   Like  David, I too have a =20
laptop that would not really work with FreeBSD, but VMWare saved the=20
day. Only use snapshots if you need to, these can be expensive on=20
diskspace but provides a valuable tool if things go wrong or if you give=20
loads of demos and need to revert to a known state after a demo.

However, running VMWare on FreeBSD sucks. It is still stuck in the dark=20
ages with 3.2.1.2242 :-(

For my desktop I run Ubuntu (ok, keep the pitchforks and torches at=20
bay..) it supports VMWare brilliantly.

-Gary