(no subject)

Dominic Marks dom at helenmarks.co.uk
Fri Jun 8 15:49:12 BST 2007

David Birch wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I'm studying my first year of Forensic Computing at Staffordshire
> University and thought it about time I made myself familiar with a UNIX
> variant. I searched online and came across FreeBSD which I've now set my
> heart upon becoming familiar with. I've got a HP nx6325 laptop computer
> with AMD Turion 64 X2 processor. I've re-jigged my disk with partition
> manager and left ~60gigs running windows and set aside ~20gigs for a
> FreeBSD installation, but I'm scared! I've read a lot of complicated
> sounding horror stories and detailed fixes for some errors HP has
> apparently allowed to slip through the net with regards the BIOS and ACPI?
> My question is, has anyone got any experience of installing freebsd on an
> nx6325 and could they please talk me through what I'll need to do in order
> to get the basics up and running in real simple terms - kinda an idiots
> guide.

Subscribing to freebsd-mobile at freebsd.org is probably a good start.  Plus
having a copy of the FreeBSD Handbook on standby when you need to dip into
it.

If you are worried about jumping in at the deep end or possibly damaging
your Windows install, allow me to make a suggestion. Download VMware
Server from vmware.com (free) and install FreeBSD using that. You can do
this a number of times to get familiar with the installer (may take a
little while) and you put your system at no risk.

I have a similar model laptop and I never run FreeBSD on it, but run a VM
as described above. The reason for this is that I don't want to spend time
fighting to get the basics working and laptop hardware can be particularly
poorly supported.

Not that I'm saying you should not go for it, just that if you like there
are other options available to you.

Welcome to FreeBSD :-)

Dominic