Setting up a NIS slave

Stephen Allen freebsduk at rowyerboat.com
Wed Jan 31 00:45:13 GMT 2007

Hello,

I'm trying to ditch 2 ageing SunOS 5.7 servers.  To do this I want to
stick a FreeBSD box in the NIS domain as a slave, intending to set it to
master when I'm happy it has all the info.  I've followed the
instructions in the FreeBSD Handbook (25.4) but have come up against 3
problems.

1.
When I perform the command  'ypinit -s <nismaster> <nisdomain>'  I get
the following error (see sample output):

Transfering master.passwd.byname...
ypxfr: failed to find master of master.passwd.byname in domain cms: No
such map in server's domain
ypxfr: Exiting: Could not get master server address
Transfering master.passwd.byuid...
ypxfr: failed to find master of master.passwd.byuid in domain cms: No
such map in server's domain
ypxfr: Exiting: Could not get master server address
Transfering passwd.byname...
ypxfr: Exiting: Map successfully transferred
Transfering passwd.byuid...
ypxfr: Exiting: Map successfully transferred
Transfering group.byname...
ypxfr: Exiting: Map successfully transferred
<snip>

2.
At the bottom of all that, it says "Don't forget to update map ypservers
on <nismaster>".  I can't for the life of me find out what this is or
how to do it on SunOS 5.7.

3.
When I try and run  '/usr/libexec/ypxfr passwd.byname'  as stated in the
handbook, I get the error:

ypxfr: no destination domain specified and the local domain name isn't set
ypxfr: Exiting: Request arguments bad

Am I missing something here?

Many thanks,
Steve :)