Question: Moving an Office

arb at aaa-comms.com arb at aaa-comms.com
Mon Jan 8 15:34:04 GMT 2007

For a start the best thing to have is just a dose of common sense :), as yo=
u are a freebsd lover this more than likely came naturally at birth so your=
 safe :D This is in a general sort of order and is not inclusive. This is a=
lso a perfect time to sort out all of those little grips you may have (clea=
rly labeled cables / tidy patching / hidden cables)

1) Get a floor plan.
2) Transfer your existing infrastructure onto the floor plan. (seats desks =
the lot)
3) Add all of your electrical / RJ11 / RJ45 traps / runs to the diagram
4) Decide where the server room will be.
5) Are you replacing ? or transferring existing Com's ?
6) Check all of your warranties on major equipment, you may have to call in=
 the supplier to decommission / recommission specific equipment.
7) Contact your network provider and get the line in and checked PRIOR to a=
ny move.
8) Get the phone company in and work with them on the transfer of any ISDN =
30 etc feeds you have for the phones.
9) If you are doing any structured cabling i.e. raised floors / traps / con=
duit then you would do well to get in a cable laying outfit. Double up on m=
ajor runs, get a test report for each run.
10) Get in and check the Internet and general connectivity directly
11) Build up the server room / area.
12) Get a move check list together : containing and this is not inclusive :
     * Desks
     * Phones
     * Cables
     * Anything that you will take
Mark where it is going from and where it is going to.

13) Make the users responsible for there desk area, provide removal storage=
 containers with labels for them to pack into (keep them informed -- let th=
em know early)

14) Unless you intend to get the users to do the move, involve a reputable =
removal company (check their and your insurance cover), they will need a co=
py of your existing floor plan and the target environment with the layout.

Any questions let me know, I have done this so many times now it sort of fa=
lls into place.

Regards Richard