ypinit -m test-domain hangs

Stephen Allen freebsduk at rowyerboat.com
Sun Feb 11 15:53:38 GMT 2007

Stephen Allen wrote:
> I'm setting up my test FreeBSD system as a NIS master, following the
> steps in the FreeBSD handbook.  When I run the command 'ypinit -m
> test-domain' I answer the few questions and it says the NIS map update
> started... and then just sits there after saying "Updating hosts.byname..."

Update... I don't have any rpc services running at all.  If I enable
rpcbind in /etc/rc.conf and start it, I get further but it still all
looks wrong.  Here's some excerpts of the errors:

Updating hosts.byaddr...
yp_mkdb: duplicate key '192.168.0.203' - skipping
yp_mkdb: failed to send 'clear' to local ypserv: RPC: Program not registered
yp_mkdb: duplicate key 'compressnet/tcp' - skipping
yp_mkdb: duplicate key 'compressnet/udp' - skipping
yp_mkdb: duplicate key '1989/udp' - skipping
yp_mkdb: duplicate key '1992/tcp' - skipping

Steve :)