Help with setting up NIS

Stephen Allen freebsduk at rowyerboat.com
Wed Feb 7 01:26:41 GMT 2007

I'm wanting to configure my FreeBSD 6.1 server to take over the role of
NIS server from an aging Solaris 7 box.

Please let me know if I can do this a better way, but I am trying to set
up the BSD box as a slave NIS server first to transfer all the data,
then once it's transferred, just tell it it's a master?  So, when
creating the BSD box as a slave, running 'ypinit -s <NIS_Master>
<NIS_Domain>' ran almost without error.  However, when transferring some
maps, I see these errors:

Transfering master.passwd.byname...
ypxfr: failed to find master of master.passwd.byname in domain cms: No
such map in server's domain
ypxfr: Exiting: Could not get master server address
Transfering master.passwd.byuid...
ypxfr: failed to find master of master.passwd.byuid in domain cms: No
such map in server's domain
ypxfr: Exiting: Could not get master server address
Transfering rpc.byname...
ypxfr: failed to find master of rpc.byname in domain cms: No such map in
server's domain
ypxfr: Exiting: Could not get master server address
Transfering amd.host...
ypxfr: failed to find master of amd.host in domain cms: No such map in
server's domain
ypxfr: Exiting: Could not get master server address

Are these errors the fault of the Solaris server?

And the next step in the FreeBSD handbook says to put
'/usr/libexec/ypxfr passwd.byname' as a cron job.  I ran this by hand
(as root), and got the following error:

ypxfr: no destination domain specified and the local domain name isn't set
ypxfr: Exiting: Request arguments bad

Can anyone tell me where I'm going wrong please?

Kind regards,
Steve