Forget? I didn't forget!

Paul Robinson paul at iconoplex.co.uk
Mon Aug 6 14:03:48 BST 2007

And the subject line is not just talking about me not sending out a
reminder of the forthcoming Manchester BSD User Group meeting - 7th
August, Briton's Protection, 7:30pm, for which this message will soon
revert to being a formal announcement of - it's a line I expect to
hear a lot of tomorrow given that only two regular attendees wished
me a Happy Birthday last Friday.

And whilst one was assisted by Facebook (which just makes him
*coooool*), the other... I can barely bring myself to saying it...
the other was reminded by Outlook.

The shame he has brought upon this family! We'll never speak of it
again. I have no son, do you hear? I HAVE NO SON!

The rest of you all owe me cake and jelly.

Now, onto business.

What? Who?

The Manchester BSD User Group is a group of Unix enthusiasts, users,
developers and systems administrators who meet once a month in a pub
in central Manchester.

It's a friendly/social event and we don't do talks or presentations.
It's a chance for people to meet up and find out what's going on
within the industry or in our mad/bad personal projects.

In the past, conversations have covered a wide range of technical
topics, so if you're interested in the kind of tech that you can pull
apart and put back together again (even when you're not meant to, say
in the case of a family pet perhaps), you'll find somebody interested
nearby.

Where?

The Briton's Protection pub on Great Bridgewater Street, in central
Manchester. We normally occupy a large-ish area in one of the rooms
around the back, but if the evening is warm & dry we may head out to
the beer garden (if it's open).

The Briton's is a traditional English pub with real ale, quality
lager, a range of soft drinks and an excellent selection of crisps. I
believe they do food of a high quality, but don't know what time they
stop serving.

When?

We always meet on the first Tuesday of each calendar month. The next
meeting is on Tuesday the 7th August, and the meeting after is
currently planned for the 4th September. We normally drift in to the
place around 7:30pm, and most people drift off sometime between 9pm
and 10pm.

Questions?

Feel free to post queries to manchester at bsdgroups.org.uk or you can
contact me directly. If you want directions to help find us, or need
a mobile number in case you get lost, just get in touch.