BBC, RealPlayer and FreeBSD

RW fbsd06 at mlists.homeunix.com
Fri Apr 27 02:30:01 BST 2007

On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 20:51:45 +0100
"N.J. Mann" <njm at njm.f2s.com> wrote:

> When I try to listen to a stream, say the live Radio3 stream (which is
> what I did a few minutes ago), firefox brings up a dialog box which
> says: "You either do not have Real Player or the Real Player plugin
> installed.  Please click ok to see our Audio Help page...".  So, I
> click OK and up pops their Audio Help page which I have found no
> help. :-(

I mostly click on the "Listen using stand-alone Real Player" link. This
just passes a small .ram file directly to the realplayer application
(you'll need to set firefox to open them in /usr/X11R6/bin/realplay).
Anytime you can mouse-over a link and see a .ram file, it's
straightforward.

It is possible to play these streams directly from the browser (it's
currently working for me with linux-opera), but it's generally less
reliable.