Manchester BSD UG - Oktoberfest Reminder

Paul Robinson paul at iconoplex.co.uk
Tue Sep 26 23:04:54 BST 2006

OK, so it won't be Oktoberfest. But it'll be *fun*. Until about 9pm
when I leave (because I have to be up at 5am the next morning) and
then it'll be EXTRA FUN!

Yes, it's the....

Manchester BSD UG October meeting - Tuesday, 3rd October

Sound good? In that case, you'll want to know...

What?
-----

Manchester BSD User Group has a rich history, with such notable
events as suggesting to Turing he write a paper on a universal
"machine" of some sort, producing a prototype device that was
ultimately the inspiration for the blockbuster 1985 film "Weird
Science" - Kelly LeBrock is an honorary member - and we also have
documentary evidence that Steve Jobs stole every original, creative
idea he's ever had, right from our brains via thought rays.

OK, that's all lies. Except the bit about Kelly LeBrock: if she wants
to show up, I'll buy her a Bacardi Breezer.

We're really just a small bunch of BSD Unix systems administrators,
developers and geeks who meet in a pub in Manchester on the first
Tuesday of each month, talk utter nonsense with each other, ferment
revolution, inspire, elucidate and share knowledge. In other words we
behave as young gentleman should, including the women who have become
adept at smoking pipes[*].

We concentrate on BSD for two reasons:

1. The Linux guys have got their own Manchester meeting, and some of
our members are allergic to Linux. You didn't know the GPL can cause
nose-bleeds and dry skin did you? Now you do. Think about THAT the
next time you hand out discs down Market Street, you bloody communist.

2. We've found lots of other types of Unix people like proper
meetings with projectors and slides and an 'agenda' or something.
We've found BSD Unix people to be more prone to going to the pub and
drinking beer, so we created an event to fit. Although, when I say
'event' please don't raise your expectations - we're some guys
getting drunk, it's not photo-worthy.

Where?
------

The pub of course! The Briton's Protection on Great Bridgewater
Street to be precise. It is a lovely old pub that serves real ale and
is split into a traditional bar/saloon arrangement that means we can
grab a room to ourselves sometimes (or if it's a nice evening head
out to the beer garden).

Details here:

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/11/1127/
Britons_Protection_Hotel/Castlefield

If you are heading down for the first time, mail me off-list ASAP and
I'll give you my mobile number to call en route so you can find us
easily.

When?
-----

We always meet on the first Tuesday of the month, unless there's a
full moon in which case we spend the evening howling like wolfs from
rooftops across the city.

The next meeting will therefore be THIS TUESDAY COMING on the 3rd
October. The meeting after this may be cancelled due to accidents
involving fireworks.

We used to say "we start at 7:30pm", but the truth is some people are
there from just before 7pm, others don't turn up until gone 8:30,
most people drift off around 9-10pm. It's going to the pub - we don't
have a schedule, we just, you know, turn up.

Anything else?
--------------

Sometimes turnout is very, very low so if you're planning on coming
let us know so we have an idea if it's not worth just postponing it
[**]. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

--
Paul

[*] - There has only ever been one female attendee of a BSD UG. She
was 2 hours late and was mainly there to meet her boyfriend. She did
NOT smoke a pipe.
[**] - The only time we ever postponed it, was when everybody was
busy and it would mean me going to the pub on my own. As it happened,
I went anyway.