How to reinstall bind9?

Stephen Allen freebsduk at rowyerboat.com
Mon Sep 18 12:38:31 BST 2006

Thanks again Ed,

> It's all very well saying you installed from the CD... But there are a
> hell of a lot of FreeBSD CDs out there, all containing different
> versions of FreeBSD! What's the output of uname -a?

FreeBSD beastie.localdomain 6.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE #0: Sun May
  7 04:32:43 UTC 2006
root at opus.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

> mergemaster is something which is used as part of a 'make world' system
> upgrade from source. What it does is check that your /etc directory is
> up to date. In this case, if you have the source for the same version
> you are already using installed, it will just check that your /etc
> directory has everything in it that it should. Try reading the manpage :)

When running mergemaster...

----------
cd: can't cd to /usr/src/etc
make: don't know how to make distrib-dirs. Stop

   *** FATAL ERROR: Cannot 'cd' to /usr/src/etc and install files to
       the temproot environment
----------

So it seems I need the source files.  Are these downloadable (and don't
take up too much space) or do I need to get the installation CD and
point mergemaster at that instead?

> Try running a 'make config' when you're in the bind9 port directory, and
> check that you haven't got it set to 'REPLACE_BASE'. That's the only
> reason I can see for bind9 installing somewhere other than /usr/local.
> The way it is configured in the port Makefile, it will still put its
> zone files and named.conf in /var/named.

Well, I've learnt something... I spent hours trying to figure out how to
bring up teh make options again!  Previous to your little hint here, I
found I could delete /var/db/ports/bind9/options (probably a bad idea!).

Anyway, I now know what REPLACE_BASE does.  My mistake seems to be I've
removed something that the bind9 installation doesn't install, eg. the
link */etc/namedb.

Steve :)