How to reinstall bind9?

Edmund Craske edmund at m00is.net
Mon Sep 18 09:34:16 BST 2006

Whoops I never sent that to the list! I'll CC it back in now...

It's all very well saying you installed from the CD... But there are a
hell of a lot of FreeBSD CDs out there, all containing different
versions of FreeBSD! What's the output of uname -a?

mergemaster is something which is used as part of a 'make world' system
upgrade from source. What it does is check that your /etc directory is
up to date. In this case, if you have the source for the same version
you are already using installed, it will just check that your /etc
directory has everything in it that it should. Try reading the manpage :)

Try running a 'make config' when you're in the bind9 port directory, and
check that you haven't got it set to 'REPLACE_BASE'. That's the only
reason I can see for bind9 installing somewhere other than /usr/local.
The way it is configured in the port Makefile, it will still put its
zone files and named.conf in /var/named.

Ed