USB Hard Drives

Stephen Allen freebsduk at rowyerboat.com
Tue Oct 31 19:30:11 GMT 2006

I bought a 3.5" 100Gb Hitachi 2.5" drive and an external (VAIO) casing,
for the following reasons:

The Drive itself:
http://www.hitachigst.com/portal/site/en/menuitem.72e3cabd3a6a384ccf1824a0eac4f0a0/

100Gb
7200rpm
Great read/write speed
Great shock tolerance
Low power usage

The casing:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260047325919

Non-metallic (I tested it)
Has 2 headed USB cable for extra power from USB ports

Obviously it not purpose built to withstand drops etc., but if you drop
a hard disk, you need your head testing anyway.  It's smaller than a
pocket diary so really easy to carry around.

Steve :)