2nd hard drive failed

Michael Abbott michael at araneidae.co.uk
Sun Oct 22 08:00:14 BST 2006

On Sat, 21 Oct 2006, Ceri Davies wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 21, 2006 at 01:50:55PM +0100, Mervyn Passmore wrote:
>> two hard drives. The second one was installed as a spare in case of
>> emergency or temporary backups etc but has never been really used. It is now
>> failing, making odd mechanical sounds and I get messages on the console such
>> as:
>>
>> ad3 READ timeout
>> ata1 Resetting devices

Sounds kind of familiar.  In my experience (I presume it's a PATA disk)
this would freeze the disk and any companion (master/slave) it might have
had on the same PATA bus.  Any process would lock in "uninterruptible
sleep" until reboot.

>> How can I disable it from the system so I can shutdown, remove it and
>> restart the PC?
>
> Hard to say.  Check /etc/fstab for any references.

Can't add to that.  If anything else does reference it, you can almost
certainly take it out and restart anyway.