2nd hard drive failed

Ceri Davies ceri at submonkey.net
Sat Oct 21 13:58:09 BST 2006

--sm4nu43k4a2Rpi4c

On Sat, Oct 21, 2006 at 01:50:55PM +0100, Mervyn Passmore wrote:
> Hi,
> I have Freebsd 4.11 (I think it is 4.11, not really sure how to tell but
> definitely 4.x because the SCO emulator on 5.x doesn't work) on a PC with
> two hard drives. The second one was installed as a spare in case of
> emergency or temporary backups etc but has never been really used. It is =
now
> failing, making odd mechanical sounds and I get messages on the console s=
uch
> as:
>=20
> ad3 READ timeout
> ata1 Resetting devices
>=20
> when anything attempts to connect to it, eg /stand/sysinstall
>=20
> How can I disable it from the system so I can shutdown, remove it and
> restart the PC?

Hard to say.  Check /etc/fstab for any references.  If you have vinum
loaded (check with "kldstat -v |grep vinum") then you may have
references there - check with "vinum printconfig".  Also check if you
are swapping to the disk with "swapinfo".

I can't think of anything else off the top of my head that may reference
it.

> The PC also has an obsolete SCSI card I'd like to remove at the same time.
> Is this a similar process?

You can just power down the system and pull that out if there are no
devices attached.

Ceri
--=20
                                                  -- Moliere