Strange results from using grep

Michael Abbott michael at araneidae.co.uk
Tue Oct 3 08:13:06 BST 2006

> As you can see, when nothing matches, nothing is echoed back from the
> command.  However, when tested on FreeBSD-6.1, it fails to find a match in
> the same way and stubbornly just echoes out the string I'm looking for.  This
> is the same with or without the trailing '-' to force grep to read from
> stdin.

I presume you get exactly the same with an empty search file?  I mean,
does
 	$ echo testing | grep -f /dev/null
also produce output?

On 4.11 grep works as expected, so maybe this is a horrible bug in grep
introduced somewhere later!  I haven't got a working -current at the
moment (I'll set one up): can anybody else verify?