Password syncing for Windows using open source tools

Stephen Allen freebsduk at rowyerboat.com
Thu Nov 30 22:55:46 GMT 2006

Ok, this is a long shot, but you people are always so helpful...

I've inherited a sitaution where my users are mostly members of an NT4
domain.  Some are members of the new AD domain.  All need access to
various folders on the old NT domain controller, user access being
controlled by NTFS permissions.

In AD, I've used dfs and created links pointing to the NT4 server
shares, which they can access if their passwords are the same on both
domains.  However, this is rarely the case, especially as I want to
enforce the use of complex passwords.

What I'm looking for is some method of syncing passwords from/to AD and
the NT4 domain.  There are Windows packages out there to do that, but
cost-a-plenty.  I was wondering if Samba could hook into both servers
and act as a middle-man for syncing?  Are there any Unix/Linix utils
that could do this for me at minimal cost?

Many thanks,
Steve :)