Using pkg_add on 6.0 doesn't work

Ceri Davies ceri at submonkey.net
Thu Nov 30 10:17:12 GMT 2006

--juwRYO7N74otsfNI

On Thu, Nov 30, 2006 at 02:08:59AM +0000, Stephen Allen wrote:
> I installed FreeBSD 6.0 on a test box yesterday (as it's the latest
> version I had on CD), and when I tried 'pkg_add -r portsnap', it failed
> because it couldn't access the file
> 'ftp://ftp.frebsd.org/......./portsnap.tbz'.  I checked the listing of
> the RELEASE folder for version 6 and I couldn't find it either.
>=20
> Am I missing something here?

I *think* that portsnap is just sat right there in /usr/sbin in 6.0 (at
least it exists in RELENG_6_0), so you probably don't need the package.

> And my next question was, if I were to perform an upgrade from 6.0 to
> 6.1 or even 6.2, how would I do it, or does the whole bag of tricks
> always get updated if you keep to the latest packages?

The base system is not packaged, so upgrading your packages will only
update the bits that live under /usr/X11 and /usr/local.

To upgrade from 6.0 to a later release, you could either do a binary
upgrade with sysinstall (not recommended, to be honest), use the
freebsd-update tool (not in the base in 6.0) and the instructions at
http://www.daemonology.net/freebsd-upgrade-6.0-to-6.1/, or do a source
upgrade using the RELENG_6_2 tag (concentrate and ask again later for
that, or see the handbook).

Ceri
--=20
                                                  -- Moliere