Using pkg_add on 6.0 doesn't work

Stephen Allen freebsduk at rowyerboat.com
Thu Nov 30 02:08:59 GMT 2006

I installed FreeBSD 6.0 on a test box yesterday (as it's the latest
version I had on CD), and when I tried 'pkg_add -r portsnap', it failed
because it couldn't access the file
'ftp://ftp.frebsd.org/......./portsnap.tbz'.  I checked the listing of
the RELEASE folder for version 6 and I couldn't find it either.

Am I missing something here?

And my next question was, if I were to perform an upgrade from 6.0 to
6.1 or even 6.2, how would I do it, or does the whole bag of tricks
always get updated if you keep to the latest packages?

Many thanks,
Steve :)