cvsup takes too long?

Progga progga at BengaLinux.Org
Tue Nov 28 22:33:44 GMT 2006

--u3/rZRmxL6MmkK24

On Tue, Nov 28, 2006 at 08:46:11PM +0000, martin at rakupottery.org.uk wrote:
>=20
> >On Tue, Nov 28, 2006 at 05:24:59PM +0000, Progga wrote:
> >>
> >>I was updating the ports collection inside a jail using CVSUP
> >>(cvsup2.uk.freebsd.org) 2/3 days ago and it took well over eight hours =
> >>complete.  Is this normal behaviour?
> >
> >No.  I find the .uk cvsup servers a little unreliable though.=20
> >
> >Either way, I expect that you'll find portsnap is better if you don't
> >need an actual CVS ports tree.
>=20
> I stopped using cvsup2 some months ago as it had become terribly slow, ev=
en=20
> at 3am, I now use cvsup.uk.freebsd.org and it is all done in a few minute=
s.=20

Thanks all for the replies.

According to fastest_cvsup:
	- 1st: cvsup3.uk.freebsd.org    12.58 ms
	- 2st: cvsup4.uk.freebsd.org    14.63 ms
	- 3st: cvsup2.uk.freebsd.org    15.98 ms
I have updated again; cvsup3 was really fast and cvsup2 refused access sayi=
ng
"Access Limit Exceeded"!

I am now looking into portsnap.  The man page seems to me a bit vague for t=
he
first read unfortunately :-(

--u3/rZRmxL6MmkK24

--u3/rZRmxL6MmkK24--